Skip to main content

RESPECT...Find Out What it Means to Me! (Part 5)




I hope that you all had a fantastic New Year!  Thanks for coming back for Part 5 of my series on RESPECT.  
The cool thing about doing a blog is that, while I am writing information to share with all of you, I find myself learning things as well.  And I would consider myself a lifelong learner, so I love it!  I love learning with you all.
So let's get started...

41)  Take care of yourself physically - get rest, exercise, and eat right.
There is no better way to show that you respect yourself and other more than taking care of yourself.  It shows that you know you are worth it...to yourself and others.  Not to mention, like I've said before, this is like putting your oxygen mask first, in a plane crash, before helping others put theirs on.  You are important.

42)  Find out what "support" looks like to others and do the stuff that matters to them.
Think of the people in your family, your colleagues/co-workers, and other folks you spend time with.  Find out what they see as "support" and provide it to them as part of your interactions with them.  Again, it shows that you consider them as important and seek to do what is helpful for them.

43)  Smile and greet the other person when you first see them.
Admit it.  It feels good to get a smile and a greeting when you see someone you know.  Enough said.

44)  Let the other person finish their sentences without interrupting and without finishing for them.
Ugh! So frequently I'm horrible at this.  I get excited about what the other person is saying or want to interject before I forget what I want to say.  Totally understandable, BUT totally rude.  It's basically saying that what you have to say is more important than what the other person is saying.  
(This is definitely one of those things I'm learning, or being refreshed on, while I share with you.)

45)  Ask the other person what they think about what's important to you or those around you.
A great way to show deep respect is to ask the other person their opinion and input about the things that matter most to you.  It's like letting another person into your inner sanctum, your safe place.  It's an honor.

46)  Step what you are doing when the other person is talking and make eye contact with them, being a good listener by being interested in what they are saying.
You know how it feels when someone can't be bothered to look up from what they're doing, to listen to or engage with you.  You can tell they aren't really giving their full attention and interest.  This is completely disrespectful.
And if you aren't able to stop what you're doing in that moment, then let the person know that you would like to hear what they have to say, but that you are unable to give them full attention at that moment, but arrange for a time to reconnect, to show that what they have to say is important to you.

47)  Give the other person at least one compliment a day that builds them up - point out a character strength and say why it matters.  
This is probably one of the easiest things to give another person and it doesn't cost anything.  Appreciation goes a long way and often makes the other person feel really special.  Make it meaningful, not an empty compliment that anyone can see through, but a genuine acknowledgement of their character and why it's important to you.

48)  Be enthusiastic about intimacy, pursuing the other person.
This applies more so to romantic relationships, but can also apply to friendships and work relationships, as well, if you broaden the meaning of intimacy.  Really, we should be the one to seek the other person out.  Don't always expect everyone to come to you.

49)  Encourage the other person to spend time with their friends and make it easy for them to do so.
Again, this applies mostly to romantic or marriage relationships, but can applies to friendships, as well.  Don't dominate the other person's time so they feel suffocated or stifled.  Let them know that you trust them and are secure in the relationship or friendship, to allow them time and space with other person.

50)  Touch the other person when you speak to them.
Now, don't go overboard with this one and don't misinterpret it.  Just a gentle touch on the arm or shoulder is sufficient.  It adds a personal connection between you and conveys respect.  I know that the times that someone has used this approach with me, I felt more heard and connected.  I felt respected and valued.  So I know it works.  Even for the not so touchy people.

Wow!  I am so happy to be going through this series with you, especially here in the New Year.  
It's a great reminder of how to behave as we set off into 2021.  


Please drop a comment on what respect means to you or your thoughts and experiences with any of these tips.

If you're interested in finding out more about respect, especially how to respect yourself and present yourself with self-respect, please reach out to me.  I specialize in helping people develop and grow their self-respect, so that others will learn to respect them, as well.

Website - www.brittaniedmillslmft.com
Instagram - @brittaniedmillslmft
Facebook - www.facebook.com/brittaniedmillslmft
Email - bdmills@brittaniedmillslmft.com
Phone - (925)  335-6122

You can also find my previous blog posts at This Therapist's Therapy:  https://brittaniedmillsmft.blogspot.com/






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Down & Dirty of DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy)

This past week, I had the opportunity to attend a 2 hour DBT 101 training, free through my employer.  As a Child Protective Services social worker, I have seen the benefits of DBT with various clients over the years and knew it had some very valuable tools, but I had never taken the time to learn much about it.  So I thought this was my opportunity.  Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) centers around the fact that two opposing facts can be true at the same time.  For example - "I am tough, but I'm also gentle." or my favorite, "I'm doing the best I can, and I can do better."  DBT is an evidence based practice that stems from Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and was originally created to treat Borderline Personality Disorder. I learned about the Bio-Social Theory around DBT.  Bio - there is a biological vulnerability to emotions and Social - an invalidating environment that communicates that what you're feeling, thinking or doing doesn't make sense. 

Behind the Couch: Understanding Why Therapists Opt Out of Insurance

  Behind the Couch:  Understanding Why Therapists Opt Out of Insurance As a therapist, I've noticed an increase in the number of people who want/need to use their insurance benefits to receive therapy.  And, to be honest, when I first sought out a therapist for myself, I felt the exact same way.   I understand.  Therapy can be a very costly investment.  But that's how you have to think about it - as an investment...in yourself and your mental and emotional well-being. But working as a therapist, I've learned that there are some definite reasons that you may not want to use your inusrance benefits. Let me take a few moments to explain. Insurance Requires a Diagnosis In order to use your insurance for therapy benefits, the insurance company requires that the providing therapist give a diagnosis.  That means that once you enter into therapy using your health insurance benefits, there is a documented record of a mental health diagnosis on file for you.  And that record may stay

Empty Nest

  Empty Nest - Now What? Your children are all grown and have moved out and are moving on with their own lives.  The constant influx of people in the house or at the dinner table has disappeared.  The hustle and bustle has died down.  And now you're left with just the two of you. Now it's time to rediscover yourselves as individuals, and maybe even more importantly, as a married couple.  The last several decades or more have been devoted to rearing your children and launching them into adulthood.  But now you find yourself with extra time and maybe extra energy on your hands. Leisure Time Maybe now that all the children's activities and obligations have gone, you find yourself with a lot of extra time.  Instead of dwelling on the absence of your children, focus on things you can now do with that time.  Take a nap.  Read a book.  Learn to cook or bake.  Sign up for some local classes or groups.  Or maybe you need something more practical.  You can do something productive lik