Skip to main content

How to Manage Anxiety - Part 5

 

In Part 4 of this series on How to Manage Anxiety , 

we talked about Exercise/Movement.

What types of exercies or movement did YOU do this week?  Tell us about it!

Over the next few weeks, I'm going to share some tips on how to manage anxiety
Maybe you're in a Leadership or Executive Level and you're excelling at your job, but deep inside, every day is a battle within yourself.  Maybe you're a wife, mom, and career woman, and sometimes things just get overwhelming.

Today we'll look at an ongoing way in which you can manage your anxiety - Practicing Gratitude.

I can't say enough on how much an "Attitude of Gratitude" can really help with mood and anxiety.  
It sounds so simple.

I encourage you, each morning, as you start the day, to think of three things you are grateful for.  These can be small things or bigger things.  From, "I'm grateful for my cat, because he likes to snuggle on my lap while I watch t.v.". to "I am grateful for my boss because he/she supports my professional development."

Each morning should be a different set of 3 things.  This gets us really thinking about ALL the things in our lives that we have to be grateful for.  It makes us stop and really reflect on our life and our circumstances.

By practicing gratitude, we get our minds focus on positivity, instead of negativity.  And what better way to start each day, but with gratitutde?!  When we keep our mind focused on the positive, it's less likely that we will feel anxious.  That's because much of anxiety centers around fears and negativity.  

Another great tip around gratitude is to also keep a Gratitude Journal.  For this, I encourage you to write down your three gratitudes in the morning and, perhaps even another three each evening.  The beauty of writing it down is that you can reflect on and refer back to it at any time, especially if you are feeling anxious.

If you are suffering from anxiety, your best bet is to focus on gratitude and positivity.

I encourage you to begin practicing gratitude on a daily basis, to help minimize your feelings of anxiety.  Drop a comment to share your thoughts.

If you'd like to see Tip #1 - click here.
If you'd like to see Tip #2 - click here.
If you'd like to see Tip #3 - click here.
If you'd like to see Tip #4 - click here.

This post was the last in the Managing Anxiety Series, but check back later for more help.

If you'd like more tips, or more individualized help on dealing with anxiety, please check out my website and schedule a free 15 minute consultation.  

Feel free to ask questions or drop comments below.


I provide online counseling for anxiety throughout California & Florida.


Website - www.brittaniedmilslmft.com

Email - bdmills@brittaniedmillslmft.com

Phone - (925) 335-6122


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Down & Dirty of DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy)

This past week, I had the opportunity to attend a 2 hour DBT 101 training, free through my employer.  As a Child Protective Services social worker, I have seen the benefits of DBT with various clients over the years and knew it had some very valuable tools, but I had never taken the time to learn much about it.  So I thought this was my opportunity.  Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) centers around the fact that two opposing facts can be true at the same time.  For example - "I am tough, but I'm also gentle." or my favorite, "I'm doing the best I can, and I can do better."  DBT is an evidence based practice that stems from Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and was originally created to treat Borderline Personality Disorder. I learned about the Bio-Social Theory around DBT.  Bio - there is a biological vulnerability to emotions and Social - an invalidating environment that communicates that what you're feeling, thinking or doing doesn't make sense. 

Behind the Couch: Understanding Why Therapists Opt Out of Insurance

  Behind the Couch:  Understanding Why Therapists Opt Out of Insurance As a therapist, I've noticed an increase in the number of people who want/need to use their insurance benefits to receive therapy.  And, to be honest, when I first sought out a therapist for myself, I felt the exact same way.   I understand.  Therapy can be a very costly investment.  But that's how you have to think about it - as an investment...in yourself and your mental and emotional well-being. But working as a therapist, I've learned that there are some definite reasons that you may not want to use your inusrance benefits. Let me take a few moments to explain. Insurance Requires a Diagnosis In order to use your insurance for therapy benefits, the insurance company requires that the providing therapist give a diagnosis.  That means that once you enter into therapy using your health insurance benefits, there is a documented record of a mental health diagnosis on file for you.  And that record may stay

Empty Nest

  Empty Nest - Now What? Your children are all grown and have moved out and are moving on with their own lives.  The constant influx of people in the house or at the dinner table has disappeared.  The hustle and bustle has died down.  And now you're left with just the two of you. Now it's time to rediscover yourselves as individuals, and maybe even more importantly, as a married couple.  The last several decades or more have been devoted to rearing your children and launching them into adulthood.  But now you find yourself with extra time and maybe extra energy on your hands. Leisure Time Maybe now that all the children's activities and obligations have gone, you find yourself with a lot of extra time.  Instead of dwelling on the absence of your children, focus on things you can now do with that time.  Take a nap.  Read a book.  Learn to cook or bake.  Sign up for some local classes or groups.  Or maybe you need something more practical.  You can do something productive lik